They say December is the most wonderful time of the year. Hoboken is getting into that spirit with plenty of holiday parties this month. Many of these parties will raise money for worthy causes, so in addition to having a great time you'll know you're also helping those in need. Whether they're uptown or downtown, waterfront or west side, here are just a few of the hottest holiday parties happening this month in Hoboken:
- On Thursday, Dec. 8, the Hoboken Social Sandbox is hosting its holiday party beginning at 7 p.m. at Trinity. More than 130 people have already said they're going on the Sandbox website. The Sandbox is asking guests to bring an item to benefit the Hoboken Shelter (see suggestions here). In exchange you'll get drink specials and a raffle ticket for a big drawing and other prizes.
- After the Sandbox party on Thursday you can then make your way uptown to the Madison, where Party With Purpose is holding its holiday party, which will raise money for the Boys & Girls Club. For a $20 donation you'll get drink specials, appetizers, music and dancing from 6 p.m. until 1 a.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 15 is a big day for holiday parties. The first is the annual Atlantic Environmental company party, which will take place at the Chandelier Room at the W Hotel. The party is invite only, but it should feature several of Hoboken's most prominent leaders in business, politics and the community. Senator Robert Menendez went to the one last year.
- The Hoboken Relay for Life is holding its party that same night at Trinity from 6:30 to 9 p.m. There will be plenty of drink specials. The suggested donation is $5, but of course you can give more. The Hoboken chapter of the national cancer fighting organization wants to celebrate the holiday season and toast to its motto of everyone celebrating more birthdays.
- On the other side of the city that Thursday, the Hoboken Happy Hour Group is holding its holiday bash at the West Five Supper Club from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. The private room admission costs $40, and for that you'll get an open bar, buffet dinner and a raffle ticket for the big giveaway, a three day/two night stay in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Just RSVP to group founder Tiffany Shenman, email@example.com. The West Five offers a free shuttle to all Hoboken residents, so getting there is the easiest thing ever.
- Geri Fallo, director of the city's Cultural Affairs department, is organizing the city's annual holiday concert at Maxwell's on Sunday, December 18. Almost two dozen local acts will play. Tickets are $6, and proceeds will help fund next summer's Movies Under the Stars program. Doors open at 5pm.
- Families looking for a festive time can find it at the Hoboken Family Alliance's annual holiday party from 3:30 to 5 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 19 at Club H. The party will have plenty of refreshments and games for kids, plus entertainment by the Preschool of Rock. The event is free for HFA members, $5 for non-members. The HFA will also be collecting new pajamas, toys and bedtime books for its annual drive to benefit children living in difficult circumstances.
- The Chamber of Commerce is holding its annual toy drive party at the Elks Club on Wednesday, Dec. 21. Details are still forthcoming, but you'll be asked to bring a toy. Last year the toy drive gave over $6,000 worth of fun to local kids. The Chamber will also announce the winners of its first ever holiday decorating contest.
So there you have it, just a few of the hottest holiday parties this month. Go to as many as you want. Make sure you save your strength though – New Year's Eve is right around the corner!