NJ Skateshop is the only store in Hoboken catering specifically to one of the town's most popular sports. Opened in 2008, it offers boards, wheels, clothing and footwear. Co-owner Chris Nieratko is well-known in the skating world, having published several books and articles on the sport, while business partner Steve Lenardo is known on a more local level. He is a teacher in Jersey City, and his students stop by often. The store has character, with barber's chairs for customers to use while trying on shoes and skate competition trophies displayed behind the counter. The trophies belong to the shop team, a group of more than 20 skaters that hail from all over the state.
- Fax: 732-651-2282
- Hours: Mon - Fri, noon - 8pm; Sat, 11am - 7pm; Sun, noon - 4pm
- Handicap Accessible: No
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Debit Card, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Services: Financing, Gift certificates, Repair, Shipping
- ATM: No
- Public restrooms: Yes
- Parking: On-street: metered
- What makes this community special?: It's a very friendly area.
- What would you say is the most popular sport in town?: Skating
- Sporting goods rentals: No